October 12th, 2013, by Shelley Riutta
“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.” Thomas Edison
I have been observing lately that there are two types of people Possibility thinkers and Non-Possibility thinkers. I can typically tell in a matter of minutes what “camp” a person is rooted in. Then there are two kinds of possibility thinkers—one kind is the one that sees possibilities and then takes action to bring these possibilities into reality. The other kind just explores possibilities but never takes the risks to actually pursue the possibility. Which one do you think you are?
Here are some examples of Possibility Thinkers that I have encountered:
- One woman who is 62 years old who was talking to me about taking one of my upper level programs to help manifest her big Vision she said “You know Shelley I am going to be around a LONG time and I will always continue to grow”. Very inspiring. She reminded me of my Breathwork teacher who in her early 60’s said of the work that she was doing in the world “I am just getting started!”
- A friend of mine who years ago was given a 5% chance to live because she had a very advanced stage of cancer. She was a determined possibility thinker and today—9 years later she is healthy, vibrant woman who is considered not only in remission but “cured”.
- I was in the Phoenix, AZ airport and saw a picture of one of the oldest graduates for her undergraduate degree and she was 94 years old! So anytime a client says they are too “old” to do something in their life I give that as an example—stops them in their tracks every timeJ
- A friend of mine who had a baby at the age of 42 years old and then her second baby at 46 years old and is traveling around the world with her husband and their two children. She had come to Green Bay, WI for a book tour for her book and brought her youngest child who was a few month old baby at that time! Wow! By the way she had set her intention at the start of the year to write a book AND have a baby.
- All of my clients who have quit their “secure” jobs and have followed their passions and have a blast and say to me “If I would have known it would be this amazing I would have done it sooner!”
So are you a possibility thinker or not? Here are some questions to help you determine this:
- When someone brings up a new idea I like to explore how the idea might work OR when I come up with an idea I think of all the ways the idea could work_____
- When I think of things that I would like to do in my life I think of all the reasons why I can’t_____
- I have fun things planned in the future that I am excited about and looking forward to_______
- There have been things I have been thinking of doing for years and I have not taken action on them yet_______
- I love growing and learning about new things_______
- I talk about how many things are going wrong in the world and how things are getting worse____
- I surround myself by other possibility thinkers and we inspire each other_______
- My friends are just as stuck as I am and we talk about all the negative things that are going on in our lives______
If you checked off 1, 3, 5 and 7 you are a possibility thinker. If you checked off 2, 4, 6 or 8 then take a look at how you are unnecessarily holding yourself back in your life. Shift your thinking to Possibility thinking you can change the course of your life TODAY.
Let me know below what new possibilities you will be stepping into 🙂